pokersharks.co.uk Forum Index
<  Hints and Tips  ~  Challenging, the debate continues...
Lynx
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:14 am  Reply with quote
CREATOR
CREATOR

Challenging, the debate continues....

*TACTIC 1*
Build up a few skills to be much bigger than your other Poker Skills making it harder for players to beat you 4-0. Just hope that when you're challenged they pick one of your better Skills - draw - and challenge someone else. Should result in good challenge attacks and will fend off a fair few attacks too aslong as a few of your better skills are picked!

*TACTIC 2*
Have one monster Poker Skill that will crush anyone! A good Poker Skill to have whilst you're challenging as you'll definately win on one of you're skills! Good for defending too aslong as the attacker picks that skill. A dangerous tactic if the attacker manages to avoid your monster skill however!

*TACTIC 3*
Go for the even approach. All 8 skills even accross the board. You wont win many challenges 4-0, but you'll rarely be beaten 4-0 either! Slow and steady can win the race. With all your skills even you can challenge the same Poker Shark on a number of levels and find out which skills are weak and give you good results. Going back to the same Poker Shark each day can really hurt a player, especially if you are avoiding their monster skill each day!

There are a number of ways to play it, depending on what you want to do. Do you want to have successful chellenges but risk losing your winnings when you get challenged? Or have less successful attacks but a strong defence?

Barbeque
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:54 am  Reply with quote
Premier Poker Shark
Premier Poker Shark

tactic 3 would get boliterated by being challenged by tactic 1 the only benefit tactic 3 has is that when challenging he has the chance to pick some higher peoples weaker skills, but this is very much a trial by numbers style which will take a while to find out thier underdeveloped skills. tacitc 3 will never be very good at challenging unless you know each and every players distinct weaknesses.

tactic 2 seems strange why have 1 monster skill when you can have 4? why even out the rest of the skills wihle only power building 1 skill as this only gives you an advantage in 1 out of the 4 skills you choose to challenge under giving you again the disadvantage of having to guess the players weaker skills in order to beat them.

tactic 1 is the only tactic with any sort of reason behind it you have a very very good advantage when challenging people and people challenging you have to guess your weaker skills in order to beat you which is a 50/50 chance

tactic 4 should be train up 2 good skills and level out the rest therefore you are almost certain to win on 2 of the things you challenge under and then have a good chance to pick one of thier weaker skills and also stand a good chance against other challenges.

tactic 5 should be training 3 good skills and levelling out the rest as this way you have the the odds in your favour when challenging as you shouldwin 3 of the four criteria and also is a good defence.

yours,
BBQ
Lynx
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:10 pm  Reply with quote
CREATOR
CREATOR

Some interesting thoughts.

I take it you've got 2-3 big skills with the others trailing behind.

Just have to figure out which ones hmmmmm.....

Barbeque
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:13 pm  Reply with quote
Premier Poker Shark
Premier Poker Shark

hehe indeed good luck finding them Smile

btw i apologise i am a self confessed forum spammer in my spare time and i apologise in advance :p

yours,
BBQ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:29 am  Reply with quote
MODERATOR BLIZZO

I used the 3 big skills and even out the rest, although lately i've been thinking that having 1 skill very weak won't hurt me, so i've let one of my skills go entirely. My roomate, however, seems to be having some great luck by keeping all of his skills completely even. Season 2 will tell quite a bit, since its easy ATM to see what sharks aren't really playing and can pick on them for easy challenge wins.

Blizzo
Blizzo
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:48 pm  Reply with quote
MODERATOR BLIZZO

The more I think about this the more it seems like 6 skills is the way to go. If you have 6 really good skills, and 2 skills sitting at 0, you are almost gauranteed to draw any challenges against you, and have a good chance at winning 3/4 or all of the challenges against other people. One question I have is tournaments, how much does having really low skills affect your tournament play, it seems my roomate with 8 even skills places better than I do with 5 big ones, an ok one, and 2 that aren't that great.

Blizzo
chazz
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:31 pm  Reply with quote
White Poker Shark
White Poker Shark

i was just wondering is there a way that you can play some one more than 5 times a day?
:D

CHARLIE
Barbeque
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:06 pm  Reply with quote
Premier Poker Shark
Premier Poker Shark

chazz wrote:
i was just wondering is there a way that you can play some one more than 5 times a day?
Very Happy

CHARLIE

im afraid not

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:43 pm  Reply with quote
White Poker Shark
White Poker Shark

Am I understanding this correct...? Is there an advantage to trying to beat equivalent sharks over the ones that are half my skill level?
Barbeque
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:26 pm  Reply with quote
Premier Poker Shark
Premier Poker Shark

maybe, the higher the sharks level the more points that shark loses in a challenge so some1 on half your points will probably only be a level 1 shark, some1 on equivilent points may be level 2 so beating the level 2 would earn you more skill.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:02 pm  Reply with quote
MODERATOR BLIZZO

VERY old thread =-) I notice I was posting here back in season 1. Have any of your thoughts on this changed BBQ? I am still very torn between 5 good skills and 6 good skills. With 5 good skills, anyone challenging you is almost certain to go 3 out of 4 or draw, and you have defense against stolen items. However, when getting up to 6 skills, even if you are excellent at the poker games, 2 skills are going to get neglected every day.

What does everyone else think about this, or is it too early to tell.

Bliz

P.S. You never did answer my question about tournaments Lynx!!
Lynx
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:22 pm  Reply with quote
CREATOR
CREATOR

Blizzo wrote:
P.S. You never did answer my question about tournaments Lynx!!

You're right, I didnt!

All your poker skills are used for tournaments so it doesnt really matter which ones you've built up more. Your overall Value plays a part but so does your Luck card...

Answered?

Barbeque
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:06 pm  Reply with quote
Premier Poker Shark
Premier Poker Shark

my point of view has changed a little but not much its upto you to deduce which tactic i use Smile